Group Admins

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 1 year, 1 month ago ago

WordPress support from our community

Problems updating WP 3.2.1 site with lots of content

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Britton
    Participant

I need help and suggestions on how to update an old WP 3.2.1 site. It has nearly 2,000 blog posts and about 1.5GB of content, and the sql database file is 31.5MB.

As usual there is no backup. The site owners have been blogging on it for years and were not concerned about whether the site would go down. Fortunately, the site seems to running fine.

I want to make a copy of the site before I update it, but I am having issues. I cannot backup the site with Duplicator or XCloner. The site is hosted at DreamHost and the PHP version has been updated to PHP 5.3.

My plan is to install a copy of the site on my MacBook Pro with MAMP. I have downloaded all the files and database from Dreamhost, but cannot get the site up and running on the Mac. I have followed several online tutorials and have successfully run several SQL test scripts, but I keep getting white screens.

I don’t think the problem is my MacBook as I have successfully installed large sites on it in the past.

My goal is to just get a copy of the site up and running so I can update the core WP, themes and plugins. (It should also be noted that this site uses very few plugins – Akismet, WP-Cache, Disable WordPress Core Updates and Plugin Updates(Dumb, I know!).

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can duplicate this site?

– – – Steve

D.K. Smith
    Participant

Hi Steve, I’ve had similar problems several times and each one required a different solution. Email me and so we can work through some options.

If we can solve it I’ll come back and post the solution here.

D.K. Smith
    Participant

Hi Steve, I’ve had a similar problem several times and each one required a different solution. Email me and we can work through some options.

If we can solve it I’ll come back and post the solution here.

Stephen Britton
    Participant

Thank you for the offer D.K.

I managed to fix it by using the XML import/export tool built into WP.

I just exported the 3.2.1 site and then imported the XML file into the 3.9.1 site. Next, I used SFTP to copy the images from the old site to new site. It worked perfectly.

All best,

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.