Group Admins

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 1 year, 1 month ago ago

WordPress support from our community

please can somone answer my really basic question!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    msmoneypenny1
    Participant

hi there,
    being new to wp, I am learning from the very beginning.
    my site is http://findingtheuncommondeal.com
    my question i have is regarding menus / category page and post page.
    with a customize page / sidebar plugin it is very easy for me to customize pages. however category pages are harder to customize. is there a way around this? is it bad practice to create a page that displays category posts, or better to learn how to customize the display of category posts?
    anna

Steve
    Keymaster

@msmoneypenny1– If you can customize the display of category posts, then that’s a better solution, since WordPress automatically creates these pages for you.

msmoneypenny1
    Participant

than you Steve for clarifying. Customizing category posts – is this codex? Can you recommend any online tutorials? I’d be really interested in paying for tutoring too!

Steve
    Keymaster

@msmoneypenny- customizing the category archive page is very similiar to customizing other pages.
    Start with your Index.php, archive.php or category.php file (depending on your theme). Then copy that code to a new file called category-expert.php and start making changes.

This will only effect the EXPERT category archive page. You can see how WordPress loads files by viewing the template hierachy:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

msmoneypenny1
    Participant

Hi Steve, thank you for response, I follow what you say, and I think I understand the hierarchy, is there a way to create the new php file or upload it in wordpress?

Steve
    Keymaster

The best way is via FTP. Talk to your host about getting access

msmoneypenny1
    Participant

thank you Steve.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.