Group Admins

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 1 year, 2 months ago ago

WordPress support from our community

One shopping cart servicing multiply websites

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Vincent Gentile
    Participant

I am working on an online fundraiser, we would like to have an individual website for each project. The fundraiser will sell several hundred products however the pricing and availability changes weekly.

Is it possible to have 1 shopping cart that supports multiply websites …?

Joly MacFie
    Participant

I can’t say for sure but ecwid might do it, since it’s site-independent.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3aAf4oRIw&feature=player_detailpage#t=1734s for some more info.

Vincent Gentile
    Participant

Thank You Joly….I watched the video, it appears to support multi site.

Dr Ron Suarez
    Participant

In the 1980’s I learned about responsibility driven Object Oriented Design from Rebecca Wirfs Brock. You simply need to think about the responsibilities of a given Project Site vs. your eCommerce site.

Build one site that has the sole function of handling the eCommerce. Then for each project site think about what would go into the Product Class. If you get different information for your different projects, then you need to consider whether an abstract class that can handle all the variations.

A class definition has a name, attributes (variables), and methods (procedures). Your “product” could be a service or a contribution. Performance will vary depending on how you design this. I am offering the simplest way to think about this as a first pass.

ClassName

variables

procedures

Product

product_id
    product_name
    product_description
    product_price
    url_for_graphic
    url_where_user_was_before_heading_to_ecommerce_site

click_to_purchase_me
    see_cart
    check_out

The “click_to_purchase_me” method sends all the relevant info (product variables) to the eCommerce site “ShoppingCart” instance.

ShoppingCart

array_of_ids_for_products_in cart

delete_item_from_cart
    go_back_to_url_where_user_was_before_heading_to_ecommerce_site
    check_out

This is an over simplified view to make a point about responsibility driven design. You need a shopping cart with an easy to use API and you need to write a few of your own simple plugins.

Of course, there may be plugins out there already that do parts or even all of this job. So, do some research.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.