Group Admins

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 1 year, 1 month ago ago

WordPress support from our community

Buddypress Child Theming

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Participant

If i’m using a child theme of BP Default, and i activated it, should I still be receiving the following message?

“BuddyPress is ready. You’ll need to activate a BuddyPress compatible theme to take advantage of all of the features. We’ve bundled a default theme, but you can always install some other compatible themes or upgrade your existing WordPress theme.”

Steve
    Keymaster

Make sure you have BOTH in the child theme’s style.css file:
    Template: bp-default
    Tags: BuddyPress

“Template” is obviously for the child theme. The “BuddyPress” Tag will get rid of the notice.

Jay
    Participant

thanks steve.. adding the tag “buddypress” in lowercase seems to have done the trick.

Joly MacFie
    Participant

BTW @Jake, just out of interest, are you using 1.2.9 or 1.5?

Jay
    Participant

1.2.9, why?

Joly MacFie
    Participant

Just wondered, cos I’m just about to attempt the same thing, but on 1.5. 1.5 does have the 3.0 style menu flexibility – and, as Boone suggests in the Aug meetup video (See WPNYC TV). if one is developing it might be a better idea to develop for that..

Jay
    Participant

how do we get 1.5? the buddypress.org site only offer 1.2.9.

Steve
    Keymaster
    Joly MacFie
    Participant

See https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags?order=name – seems like beta3 is the latest. As Boone says, there’s a lot of work gone into it so it’s pretty stable. I recommend watching the video.

Jay
    Participant

thanks guys. so i have 1.5 installed now.

but the weird thing is, in order to get my child theme styles to be applied, i have to use !important after every single element. very annoying. how come they styles won’t just normally override the parent theme styles like they did when i was running 1.2.9?

Steve
    Keymaster

BP 1.5 uses wp_enqueue_style to load the CSS files, not style.css. Check the page source and the load order of your CSS files. Your child theme style.css may be loading BEFORE the BP Parent theme.

If that happens, I suggest using wp_enqueue_style in your functions.php file to load your child theme css file AFTER BP’s style.

Jay
    Participant

how do i use wp_enqueue_style in my functions.php file?

thanks for bearing with me here. the functions.php file and php in general is definitely NOT my strong suit.

Steve
    Keymaster

From WP Codex: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_style

Also, look at the BP 1.5 default theme:
    buddypressbp-themesbp-defaultfunctions.php

Copy the function at line 168, bp_dtheme_enqueue_styles(), paste it into your child functions.php file, and make the necessary modifications.

Jay
    Participant

so if I understand correctly, this code (http://pastebin.com/z5bJb6uy) is what should be in the functions.php file that I place in my child theme?

I get an error when i do that “…./html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-themes/bp-child/functions.php on line 35”

also, should the style sheet that’s sitting in my bp-child/ folder still be called style.css or something else? and do i still need this info at the top of the style file or something else?
    Template: bp-default
    Tags: buddypress
    @import url(‘../bp-default/style.css’);

Steve
    Keymaster

-copy style.css and place it in a subfolder (/styles/my-style.css)
    -Leave all the header info in the original style.css, and remove all the actual css.
    -Place this in functions.php: http://pastebin.com/UnXuBGsa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.