Group Admins

• Profile picture of Steve

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 3 months, 3 weeks ago ago

WordPress support from our community

Weird DNS Problem

This topic contains 0 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Vincent Gentile 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Vincent Gentile
    Participant

I recently launched a client site. I changed the domain name servers on Monday (01/23) evening and launched from the staging domain to the live domain on Tuesday morning (01/24), changing hosts from Yahoo to Hostgator. I re-created the clients e-mails and everything is working fine EXCEPT……

There is one company that my client cannot receive e-mails from …? The e-mails are still going to Yahoo and they have to login to yahoo to get those e-mails…….Hostgator says the company has to refresh their exchange server, I called the IT guy at the company and he says he has rebooted the server…? Could it be the domain is still propagating…?

Very Weird…….Any thoughts on this…..?

Kevin Cristiano
    Keymaster

Can you share the domain? I have seen DNS get stuck for up to 72 hours. In addition, the company needs to flush the Dns cache on all of their domain controllers.

Obviously this is way too long.

Vincent Gentile
    Participant

The site domain is http://www.americanfragrance.com and the company that sends the e-mails we can’t receive is: ungererandcompany.com

So you mean the undererandcompany.com needs to flush the dns…?

Kevin Cristiano
    Keymaster

Yes, undererandcompany.com needs to flush their DNS.

In addition:

I just ran a report on your DNS.

Your SOA record [TTL=86400] is:

Primary nameserver: ns2527.hostgator.com.
    Hostmaster E-mail address: root.gator1264.hostgator.com.
    Serial #: 2012012401
    Refresh: 86400
    Retry: 7200
    Expire: 3600000
    Default TTL: 86400

These are very high refresh and expiry values. I try and get the Refresh, and TTL to 3600 (one hour) at most. The expiry value computes to almost 6 weeks.

Your MX record lives for 4 hours (TTL 14400) which I would reduce as well.

While these values are high, The domain should not be still propagating.

I believe that if undererandcompany.com flushes the DNS all should be good. They need to flush both their exchange server and the AD servers (they handle DNS for Exchange).

Vincent Gentile
    Participant

Kevin – Thank You……..Much Appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.