Group Admins

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 1 year, 1 month ago ago

WordPress support from our community

Installing & Configuring WordPress

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jean Gazis
    Participant

I’ve been working on a site on the free wordpress.org blog site. I will need to move it to its own domain. The current host has PHP, MySQl options but I’d have to install the WP myself. How difficult is this likely to be? How much time should I plan for? How different is WP out of the box from the free blog setup? (How much configuring will it need just to get it similar to free wordpress.org?)

Steve
    Keymaster

Hi Jean,

In most cases duplicating a WordPress.COM site on WordPress.ORG. Is not that difficult. However, there may be some issues:
    -Not all WP.com themes are easily available in WP.org. Though you can grab them from the WP.com subversion repository… this is not easy for beginners.
    -Most of the functionality of WP.com, is available in plugins… some are not. So you may have to find alternate plugins.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Jean Gazis
    Participant

Actually, I want to do it the other way around. I built a demo site in wordpress.org, but now I want to move it to another domain (not wordpress.com) and install a different theme.

Steve
    Keymaster

WP.com has limited functionality… you can’t modify theme code or install plugins. Depending on what you created for your demo site, it might be impossible to move it.

Steve

Jean Gazis
    Participant

It’s a pretty simple site. I’d like to export the content, but it wouldn’t kill me if I had to cut and paste it. I’m more concerned with whether I’m being stupid to do my own WordPress install because the client likes their current host (Net Nation) or should I push them to move to a host that offers shared WP hosting?

Steve
    Keymaster

I’m a little confused…. are you looking for a “shared host” for a WP.org install, or do you want to move to WP.com (which is also a type of shared hosting)

Jean Gazis
    Participant

I want to move FROM wp.org

Client has now decided that changing to WordPress might hurt SEO. I could use pointers to info on why that’s not true.

Jean Gazis
    Participant

Clarification: client now has an aging static html site. I set up a demo wordpress site on wordpress.org. To complete it with full theme, etc., I need to move it to a standalone WP staging site and then launch it on client’s current url.

amylaneio
    Spectator

It’s fairly simple, then. You just need to copy the wp-content directory from the old location and upload it to the new location. On the old site, go to Tools>Export, and choose everything. On the new site go to Tools>Import and choose WordPress, then upload the file you downloaded from the old site. Then it’s just a matter of sleeking the correct theme, plugins, and options.

Jean Gazis
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I’ve ascertained that many of my clients competitors, as in the people who come up with or ahead of her in the searches she’s worried about, are already using WP so I hope to move forward soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.