Group Admins

• Profile picture of Steve

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 3 months, 2 weeks ago ago

WordPress support from our community

How to prevent spammers from commenting?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sveta 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Sveta
    Participant

I wonder how to prevent spammers from commenting – i.e. blocking their comments and automatically deleting them before they end up in the spam box in the Admin? I use Akismet and it helps, but it would be nice not to see spam filled in in the Admin. Thanks!

Steve
    Keymaster

Akismet has a setting: “Auto-delete spam submitted on posts more than a month old.” That will automatically clean your spam in Admin.

Sveta
    Participant

What if it deletes some comments by mistake that are not spam?

Also, I wonder if Disqus is better? There are some people who may not have Disqus account and get more frustrated than just filling in names and emails?

I’m not crazy about CAPTCHA – it’s not only frustrating for screen reader users, but even regular users because words are morphed to the point that are hard to read.

I found a link to a plugin to do the math, but it seems not to exist? I’d like a user to do math before posting a comment.

Joly MacFie
    Participant

Not that I get that many comments but I am yet to ever see Akismet flag something legitimate. Anyone else?

Oh and, jetpack comments isn’t so bad.

D.K. Smith
    Participant

Hi Sveta, Come to the WordPress Brooklyn Meetup on plugins this coming Tuesday, 3/12.

WordPress Plugins You Haven’t Heard Of and Need To Know will cover some excellent anti-spam plugins and lots more.

@ Jolie… glad you’re busy with work. See you in April.

Sveta
    Participant

D.K. Smith – unfortunately, Brooklyn is far for me to travel to in an evening during the week, and I would also need communication access services. Will slides and notes be posted online afterwards?

D.K. Smith
    Participant

Hi Sveta, I will send you a link to the slides. Klyovo?

Sveta
    Participant

@D.K. Smith – yes, please! Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.