Group Admins

• Profile picture of Steve

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 10 months, 1 week ago ago

WordPress support from our community

How many sites in a Multi-site install?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Chad
    Participant

Hello WPNYC

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a wordpress multi-site install having over 100 sites?

My company is looking into creating a system that will have around 130 sites install in 1 multi-site. There maybe even more added in the future. We do have multi-site running now for some conference and member sites but are limited to about 15 per install.
    Do you think having over 100 sites on a multi-site safe?
    Do you know if performance will be an issue?

If you can share any info you might have regarding this topic that would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Chad

D.K. Smith
    Participant

I did a meetup on multisite last month, http://bit.ly/wp-multisite

Over 100 sites can be safe if the site is configured and secured properly.

Performance will definitely be an issue.

You’d have to provide a lot more info to get detailed answers to your questions.

Steve
    Keymaster

@chad– Multisite can host millions (literally) of sites. Two examples are WordPress.com (50+ million) and edublogs.org (3+ million).

Performance is not going to be an issue of WordPress itself, but how you configure your server, the power of your server and your overall traffic. The higher the traffic, the more powerful the server required… but this is also the same with a single site.

Steve

D.K. Smith
    Participant

Keep in mind that big multisite installations have needs/requirements beyond just getting and configurng a more powerful server.

@Chad: I PM’d you to continue the discussion.

Chad
    Participant

Thanks Steve

I understand wordpress.com is a good example of multi-site but i also know Automatic is behind it. I checked out Edublogs.org but it seemed to me that every sign up was a multi-site install. I have read the WPMUdev article and it seems that it shouldn’t be a problem.

Steve any suggestions on a host for something like this?

Steve
    Keymaster

@chad– It really depends on your budget and traffic. Here are some good webhosts to start with. I suggest you discuss your situation with their pre-sales support.

WP Engine
    Page.ly
    Rackspace
    pantheon.io

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.