Group Admins

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 12 months ago ago

WordPress support from our community

Best Hosting Plans

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Keymaster

These are not the cheapest, but I like them:

Liquidweb
    page.ly
    WP Engine

Whoever you choose, make sure they backup your data and files.

Dana
    Participant

I like Site5. They have a variety of plans to choose from. I do recommend adding the back-up option, it has come in very handy and their response time quick.

James Messick
    Participant

I use HostGator. I find their support to be the best that I’ve ever encountered of the 3-4 hosts I have tried.My site is always responsive, though I haven’t experienced a heavy load yet. If you have heavy traffic then you will probably need to go to a more expensive plan no matter which host you use.

Erica
    Participant

I use HostGator, as well. I’ve always had positive experiences with their support team, who are really quick to answer any questions.

James P
    Participant

I’m interested in using a company like WP Engine, but I would really prefer that the servers be in the NYC area as most of my clients are local businesses with local web traffic. Does anyone know of a host like WP engine, but with NYC local servers? Or just a local host they like?

Dawn Reel
    Participant

I have been researching different companies and WP Engine claims to have servers in 29 spots around the world so clients all over the world can be served quickest (like you I am only looking for NYC area), including NYC area. I don’t know if that’s helpful info, but FYI.

Dawn Reel
    Participant

I’ve learned a lot so far and thought I’d share. There seem to be different types of hosting one can have for a WordPress.org site.

(1) Shared hosting- These are the ones like Lunarpages, GoDaddy or HostGator, etc. They are @$100/year. I was using this to host around 6 WordPress.org sites and @ 20 HTML/CSS websites with the “Add-on”/sub-domains features. As they were all small sites for family members and little not-for-profits & ran just fine.

(2) One of websites built up a surprising amount of traffic and the shared hosting site turned off its hosting (none of the other sites were affected). Apparently this is a common occurrence. I always wondered why people paid more than I did for hosting, and now I found out.

(3) The host offered dedicated hosting and assured me I could set it up myself and be up and running soon. It was way too difficult for me to set up, but I avoiding having to pay tech support to do it by calling their nice, bored tech that worked the overnight shift and staying on the phone with them for two nights.

(4) The dedicated server in hindsight was oversell and way to difficult for us to maintain. Since then I’ve learned about “WordPress managed hosting.” Like WPEngine, thanks, Steve for reference to them. This looks safe for even a designer like me to use (with multisite making life even easier).

Now I’m looking into Tadpole.cc managed hosting, only $5 for an individual site. They have standard hosting plans starting at $15 that allow multi-site installs! Woo-hoo! Dana Skallman, one of the amazing core organizers of last weekend’s WP Camp works there.

Chris Carvey
    Participant

This is the low down on hosting:

The top of the line for “break, fix” managed hosting are probably these guys…
    Rackspace Coud sites
    LiquidWeb.com
    Servint.net
    WiredTree.com

I’ve heard good things about:
    Bluehost and Hostgator
    However, I dont think you have the option to have complete control over your hosting environment configuration if you need that.

If you looking for a really cheap VPS to experiment on (not client work) check out lowendbox.com for specials they aggregate deals all the time.

Avoid: GoDaddy and Network Solutions.

I personally have nothing good to say about the usual rockstars like Mediatemple or Dreamhost but I won’t bash them here. Some people love them.

I also know a guy that swears by Hostdime.com, I was also unimpressed with them.

For me the dark horse that’s worth taking a risk on is interserver.net (Check them out.) They may have limited level3 technicians but the price/value ratio is unbeatable and their datacenter is over in New Jersey.

Oh, forgot one other: I met the WPEngine.com folks at WordCamp. They are big supporters of WordPress. Give them a look.

Good luck.

Chris Carvey
    Participant

@James P I hosted with these guys for a short time and I loved them: they have hosting assets in the city: http://www.medialayer.com/hosting/application-hosting.html I don’t use them anymore because other companies were more competitive on price for the specific product I was looking at (I think I also moved to a VPS, which they didn’t have at the time) but I hated leaving them. I would talk them about your needs and see what they say.

Eric
    Participant

I like the IDEA of managed hosting, however it seems to have become a marketing term rather than a description of services.

I know what I want – I want to be able to send people to a host that will let them host a WordPress blog and choose from a curated list of themes and plugins so that everything should just happily work. The host should handle automatic backups and upgrading the WP core and themes and plugins as soon as they are available so someone with no technical expertise could run a WP blog. The users should be allowed to run ads and affiliate links on their blog.
    So for all I care, it could be all handled by one huge multi-site install that is kept upgraded.
    That is what managed hosting means to me.
    This ought to be cheap — it is actually LESS than what hostgator offers in almost all respects, but it does have the important points covered for allowing a non-technical person to run a blog.

Kinda like if WordPress.com allowed users to make money off their blog and charged less than $3750/month for the priviledge.

Instead I find many of the paid solutions to be sketchy. I’m thinking of leaning towards recommending blogger to someone starting out because I can’t see how to justify the expense.

I had personally tried one “managed” host that cost significantly more than hostgator.
    1. The setup they gave me threw an internal server error and died every time I added a plugin. For some reason it took 24 hours each time for this to correct itself. It took a week of complaining to tech support that something was messed up before they agreed and did a fresh WP install (I couldn’t do this myself because I was “protected” from that type of thing).
    2. The new WP install was not the latest WP and every time I logged in for a week it had the banner on the top saying I need to upgrade.
    I asked the tech support about it and I was told that I could just go to the updates page in WP and click update.
    I pointed out that since THAT was what I was paying them to “manage” there was no reason for me to host with them.
    – my experience with this company was so negative I don’t even want to name them because they are still in business, which makes me think that they must have improved.

I came across hostguts as claiming to be managed hosting – they say
    http://hostguts.com/
    Wordpress Managed Hosting
    HostGuts.com wordpress managed hosting has enterprise level standards from wordpress installation to security checks during the sites operations. Under this plan we only host wordpress sites and are already providing numerous sites that needs excellent uptime and dedicated support technicians to manage the servers.

Um – I don’t think that description has any meaning and I have no idea what they do.

Tadpole.cc seems to be reasonable but they don’t say much about what they are offering other than that it is “managed”. I don’t want to recommend them to someone without some idea of what I am recommending.

A Tadpole person gave this talk
    http://www.slideshare.net/TadpoleCC/speeding-up-sharedwppublish
    Slide 5 says “hosting matters” “call them — ask questions”
    “If they won’t answer a question to get a new customer, how will respond if you call for support”
    I could not find a phone number on the Tadpole site.
    I don’t know how to interpret that — since by their own description, they aren’t a good choice as a hosting company.

WPSensei was recommended, but their site seems to be down.
    Checking with downforeveryone.com I got
    Hey, it’s not just you! http://www.wpsensei.com/ looks down from here.
    I find it difficult to recommend a host that can’t keep their own site up.

I get that the WPengine and page.ly and similar services probably work, but they are charging a premium for CDN stuff etc that is overkill for someone starting out and expecting 10 to 20 visits a month.

I would think that in the same way hostgator is able to host a ton of sites cheaply because overall most of those sites get near 0 visitors, someone ought to be able to create a managed WP setup that is inexpensive and allows people to get started blogging with WordPress without having to worry about the technical details.

amylaneio
    Spectator

Hey Eric. I’m Andy from Tadpole. Our “Mini” hosting plan is almost exactly what you describe. It’s essentially a version of WordPress.com that costs $5 per month. We have a set of premium themes and plugins preinstalled, and we’re willing to consider adding others by request.

If you need more control over what plugins and themes are installed on your site, we offer full cPanel access starting at $15/month. These plans have opt-in automatic WordPress/theme/plugin updates. We perform nightly backups, so we can revert your site at anytime.

While we do not currently have a public phone number for support, you can email us directly at hello [at] tadpole [dot] cc. We are happy to answer any questions you have.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.