Group Admins

• Profile picture of Steve

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 3 months, 2 weeks ago ago

WordPress support from our community

best ecommerce plugin

Tagged: 

This topic contains 0 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Steve 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Kenneth Smith
    Participant

I will be building an independent movie site where the client wants to sell T shirts, DVDs and coffee mugs. Nothing extensive. I have heard good things about Shopp and Cart66. Does anybody have an opinion or recommendation?

Michael Sneed
    Participant

I’m setting up an ecommerce site using the classic wp-ecommerce… the site’s not live yet but I like the way the admin side works and adding products is pretty straight forward… I had some trouble getting some answers to questions in the forums but haven’t tried a premium approach yet… I wrote wp-ecommerce personally and they responded well. It’s an intensive setup process to say the least but a logical plugin and they have videos even at getshopped.org if you need them. It seems that one plugin will provide out of the box options that are free while another might make you pay for them…good luck! Hope this helps.

D.K. Smith
    Participant

WP-Ecommerce sucks big time!

Despite Michael’s experiences so far, I highly recommend you use almost anything other than WP-Ecom.

Over the last several years my company has migrated more than three-dozen WP-Ecom sites to other WP ecommerce apps, and we’re still getting thank-yous from owners we worked with two and three years ago.

Cathryn
    Participant

on wp.org forums, it did seem like wp-ecommerce was getting some unfavorable reviews in favor of e-shop plug in. I installed it but have not set it up yet.

Steve
    Keymaster

We had a meetup on ecommerce plugins last year. You can view the video here.

Also, Jonathan Davis did a nice Q&A on Shopp

Dawn Reel
    Participant

Yes, I was at the e-commerce plugin Meetup last year. Developers who had used WP-Ecomerce had pretty bad things to say about it. Newbies, like myself, definitely heard the warning. (People didn’t want to talk on camera though, so don’t bother watching video to hear those comments!) But it was great, I recommend watching it.

I saw that Cart66’s paid & free versions were updated recently, http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cart66-lite/ and seem pretty full featured.

I know using PayPal is kind of pathetic, but I currently do at the moment. It’s so easy to set up (although not always so for users depending on how set up) and free AND although they aren’t perfect they do have tech support that answers.

I’ve heard good things about FatFreeCart.com (free shopping cart) and low-cost but not free (unless not for profit) e-Junkie.com. They are both shopping carts that work easily in your own site, and like PayPal, you just copy and paste the generated code into WordPress.org. If you pay $5/mth on e-Junkie.com you can sell a digital download (on their server). I’m about to try these, they seem good for beginners (I saw Chris Coyier, Mr. CSS, uses it & he’s smart!).

Write back with what you choose, thanks!

Dawn Reel
    Participant

Oh, one last idea, I teach kids to sell their own t-shirt designs and Audacity raps with Zazzle.com (and there are many similar services). You upload your files and pay per shirt, CD, etc. what you sell. Sure, you don’t make much money after paying them to produce and ship it, but at least you’re not stuck with weird sizes leftover and having to front any money! Good for super newbies and startups.

Michael Sneed
    Participant

D.K. Smith is right about WP-ecom… that’s the problem.. they just don’t get back to you when you need it… Thanks.

D.K. Smith
    Participant

I applied to present “WordPress Security: Beyond the Basics” at WordCamp NYC 2012. Ecommerce security and applications for WordPress is part of the presentation.

Experience is the best teacher and we’ve repaired and/or secured over 1,000 WordPress installations..

Steve
    Keymaster

Seems like Cart 66 has a security issue.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.