Group Admins

WordPress Troubleshooting and Support

Public Group active 1 year, 2 months ago ago

WordPress support from our community

a taxonomy question

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    robert lewis
    Participant

Hello,

I teach Math, Science and Technology classes at multiple campuses (campusi?) I use BuddyPress to create accounts for all of my students to post their homework assignments. I categorize each student post by content area, and tag each student post with the campus the class is held. The problem is, I end up with a massive page of every student’s posts on the same category page. I would like to have a separate page for each class, on each campus. boricuablog.org is the website.

I know a little php, and am assuming there is no simple widget or plugin that can do this for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Robert Lewis

Steve
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

There are a few ways to do this:
    1) WordPress Multisite: Run BuddyPress on the main site, and then give each class their own “site”. You can still aggregate ALL class posts on the homepage.
    2) Use Custom Taxonomies: This is a good idea, and you can query multiple taxonomies. For example, the VIDEO section of this site is a custom post type, that has a custom taxonomy assigned to it; PRESENTER. We also allowed Post Tags and Categories to work with it. Here’s an example of a url that drills down all videos tagged with “buddypress” and has the PRESENTER “Steve Bruner”: http://wpnyc.org/?presenter=steve-bruner&tag=buddypress

Does that make sense?

Steve

amylaneio
    Spectator

The easy way would be to have a subdomain for each campus. I’m sure others will have better suggestions though. (btw, the plural is campuses, though you could–incorrectly–use campi if you really wanted to. People might thing you misspelled the shrimp dish though.) 😛

Steve
    Keymaster

Subdomains… Subfolders… Your call. Either way use multisite.

robert lewis
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I’m a teacher who’s follows the KISS philosophy when working with computers. So I’m not a multisite user. Does it cost a lot to get it, or is it a free upload? And is there a big learning curve to using it? Subdomains strike me as taking time and money, which teachers don’t have a lot of, so I’m going to try the custom taxonomy first.

Thanks, and any more thoughts would be appreciated as well.

Steve
    Keymaster

Robert– Multisite is free and very easy to setup… and very easy to manage. Will make your life easier.

Here’s a video on it: http://wpnyc.org/video/wordpress-3-0-multisite-what-you-need-to-know-part-2/

Steve

robert lewis
    Participant

OK, will try next week to learn. Thanks!

amylaneio
    Spectator

Robert, if you run into trouble, there’s a WordPress Genius Bar meetup next Thursday. Check out http://www.meetup.com/wpgeniusbar for the details.

robert lewis
    Participant

I would love to go back to my haunts in bburg (i so miss the Right Bank), but I’m teaching a class next Thursday evening. I’m already a member of your group, so I’ll be looking for your next Meetup…

robert lewis
    Participant

@Steve

So I tried to do MultiSite over the weekend, but I didn’t install WordPress on the root directory — I ended up blowing up my files. Of course I backed everything up before I started, so I’m back to square one. Maybe at some future Meetup you could talk about moving a WordPress site off a subdirectory to the root?

Steve
    Keymaster

Installing WP in a subdirectory is not that difficult. Check out this forum post;
    http://wpnyc.org/groups/troubleshooting/forum/topic/installing-wordpress-in-a-subdomain/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.