Group Admins

• Profile picture of Steve

Plugins

Public Group active 10 months ago ago

Talk about your favorite plugins and ask others for advice about finding or using Wordpress plugins

Going mobile with TwentyTen

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 0 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jay 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jay
    Participant

I have a number of websites built with a TwentyTen child theme that I’d like to make mobile for smartphones. At this time I’m not interested in making them responsive for tablets. Just mobile for smartphones.

The sites are fairly extensive so I guess I need to scale them down and only make certain pages mobile designed and ditch the rest. So that leads me to a few questions:

1. is it possible to create a mobile site that only has a small percentage of pages of the master site?

2. it seems the most popular plugin to make a site mobile is wptouch. but i’m not finding wptouch flexible enough in the design. so…
    2A – is there a more flexible plugin that anyone suggests? preferably free.
    2B – i know i can create mobile pages without a plugin. is it possible to have some pages of the mobile site created on my own and some created with wptouch? reason being, there’s no way I could manually mobilize all the pages of an extensive site.

just looking for some direction here for a mobile newbie. please advise. thanks!

Steve
    Keymaster

@jake— There was a Responsive TwentyTen project you might be interested in.

Joly MacFie
    Participant

I’m using wp mobile detector on my sites and am pretty happy with it. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mobile-detector/

Joly MacFie
    Participant

Oh, and, there is a new mobile function in Jetpack. – sure to have been tested with 2010.

Jay
    Participant

thanks @steve and @joly. although the twentyten responsive plugin is good to know about, it seems to keep all the content from the regular site (which is a lot to load) and my goal is to be able to strip out things that arent critical for the mobile version. Same with the wp-mobile-detector plugin. while it does make the site look better on a phone, it still seems to retain ALL the content from the regular site.

to give a clearer depiction of what i’m driving at… lets say i wanted to create a mobile version of this site (http://parkwaydrycleaning.com/) so that it looks like this (http://www.screenshots.cc/photos/original/370-gns3z.jpg). basically a stripped down version with a lot less content.

i’m looking for the best solution to go about that.

any ideas?

Darryle Steplight
    Participant

Hey Joly,
    I just signed up for this site and this post was one of the reasons why. That plugin looks cool but how well does it hold up against tablets and other non-celluar mobile devices?

Steve
    Keymaster

@jake— That’s the one big issue with Responsive design… unnecessary code still loads.

The best way to do this is to create a new stripped down version of your theme, and then use the “Mobile Theme Switch” plugin to use your new theme for mobile devices.

Darryle Steplight
    Participant

Thanks @steve , I took a peep at it and it looks promising. I’ll play around with it this weekend.

Jay
    Participant

thanks @steve. that sounds like the solution i’m looking for.

Jay
    Participant

@joly, I’m giving the wp-mobile-detector a shot. how do you go about debugging?

i read something about needing a user-agent switcher add-on for my browser, which i installed but i’m lost as to what to do after installing it. i firebugged the mobile version that i see in my dashboard but it still only shows me the

Jay
    Participant

actually i got the user-agent-switcher thing figured out now so i’m off and rolling. will report back. thanks!

Jay
    Participant

@joly, I”ve found the support with this plugin hit or miss. They provided some initial answers but they have fallen off the face of the earth and i have some followup questions (mostly about using a child theme) that perhaps you may know the answers to after having used the plugin yourself.

My initial question:
    I want to make edits to the page.php file in the mobile theme to hide the metadata. But I’d lke to do it in a child mobile theme so that my updates don’t get overridden if/when there is an updated to the parent mobile theme. How do I set this up?

Their answer:
    Currently the themes do not support child themes in the format that WordPress has enabled. However, what you can do is copy the entire theme folder from the “themes” folder inside of the plugin, to the themes folder for your WordPress blog. Change the name of the folder, edit the style.css file and change the name of the theme to something you will remember. You can then select this new theme inside the WordPress admin. This essentially does what you’re trying to do. if you do this, and then update the plugin in the future, it will not overwrite all of your changes.

My follow-up question(s):
    1. I’ve selected the ‘Corporate Mobile’ theme in my dashboard but in /plugins/wptouch/themes/ there’s only 2 theme folders: ‘core’ and ‘default’ so which theme folder am I to copy?

2. Why would I be sticking this new theme in /wp-content/themes? I can’t activate it because I don’t want to override my regular non-mobile site theme. Shouldn’t it be going into /plugins/wptouch/themes/?

3. They mentioned the new theme will appear inside the WordPress Admin. Does he mean it will appear in Dashboard>WP Mobile Detection>Mobile Themes>Select a mobile theme dropdown?

any insight is much appreciated. thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.