Group Admins

• Profile picture of Steve

Plugins

Public Group active 10 months ago ago

Talk about your favorite plugins and ask others for advice about finding or using Wordpress plugins

bbPress plugin w/out Buddypress

This topic contains 0 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Cristiano 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jay
    Participant

bbPress now appears to be its own standalone plugin and doesnt need to be incorporated with Buddypress.

I have it installed on this test site.

But I can’t figure out new users can create an account. There’s no widget for it. There’s nothing in the documentation. Is that because BuddyPress IS needed to allow users to create an account? I wouldn’t think so but who knows…

Please advise. Thanks!

Kevin Cristiano
    Keymaster

bbPress does not need Buddypress.

However, users will need to register and login on the site (WordPress will handle this). This is done with wp-register.php

Right now you have registration disabled, that will need to be enabled to allow users to post in the forums.

Jay
    Participant

thanks kevin.

i cant figure out which registration setting you’re suggesting that i have disabled.

are you suggesting that since i have buddypress enabled, the WP registrations is disabled?

please advise. thanks.

Kevin Cristiano
    Keymaster

Hi Jake,

I thought you said that Buddypress was not installed, just bbPress?

as far as registrations being disabled, go to: http://shirtsaboutnothing.com/wordpress/wp-login.php?action=register and see what it says.

This setting is normally controlled on the General settings in the admin panel (../wp-admin/options-general.php)

Disabling or enabling registration is not related to bbPress or Buddypress.

Jay
    Participant

Correct, just bbPress is installed on this site. I’ve found the registration setting and enabled it. Seems to work now. Thanks!

So I have a followup question… I have BuddyPress + bbPress installed on this site: http://www.willowbilliards.com. There’s already about 20 users that signed up via the Buddypress signup form. If I ditch BuddyPress in favor of regular WP registration + bbPress, will all those users keep their accounts???

please advise. thanks.

Kevin Cristiano
    Keymaster

I can tell you that the users are WordPress users. If you deactivate BuddyPress, the users will still exist.

I cannot confirm that if you deactivate BuddyPress, that bbPress will just work. I have never tried that.

Jay
    Participant

Seems to me that if my goal is to run bbPress forums, the advantage of using BuddyPress user management as opposed to regular WordPress user management is that with BuddyPress I can ask mutliple profile questions of all the users who sign up. Also, users can see that profile information of other users.

But if I were to ditch BuddyPress and just use regular WordPress user management, users would not be able to see the profile questions of other users.

Sound about right?

Kevin Cristiano
    Keymaster

That’s about right.

The profile page on a WordPress site with just bbPress installed out of the box, will have a much more limited profile page than a BuddyPress enabled WordPress blog.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.