This website is built on WordPress and BuddyPress, and designed and used by the WordPress community in New York City.
On August 17, 2010, this website was installed live at the WordPressNYC Meetup. Like many of our meetups, this session was recorded on video.
In April, 2011, the site was relaunched with a new look and additional features. This version was a collaboration between Meetup organizer Steve Bruner, and two meetup members; Krista Gonzalez and Rindy Portfolio.
The goal was to make it easier to navigate, have a more modern look & feel, and best of all – use a ton of custom functionality that we will demonstrate at future Meetups!
- New look and feel: We’ve updated the overall to be more NYC: tiles, fonts, colors make you feel like you are in the heart of Manhattan (or in the subway).
- Header Notice section: A quick an easy way to get information out to our community. This area shows the latest announcement or Meetup date.
- Support, News and Jobs: We brought the most popular information to the front page of the site to make it simple to get the answers you need.
- New Group Icons: These simple, easy to understand group icons make it easy to find what you want and explore the community.
- WPNYC TV: We’ve been recording videos of the WordPressNYC Meetup and WordCamps for a while. Now you can watch the sessions you missed.
- Get updates wherever you are: WPNYC is now on Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin.
- Some of the custom features implemented on this site
- Linkedin: updates automatically using our RSS feed.
- Twitterfeed: automatic posting of our activity stream to our Twitter account and Facebook Page.
- We utilized some custom fonts to highlight the New York style.
- Electric Sign in Header: Silkscreen font by TypeKit (we also added some CSS to make it look like a light)
- Tile Fonts: We actually use two, both from Myfonts.com: MidTown Nessie and DownTown Nessie.
So take a look around, and check out all of the upgrades and feel free to post a suggestion or two. If you need to contact the site administrator, just send me a note through my member page.